The Perfect Human returned to Detroit for a perfect number retirement ceremony, as Nicklas Lidstrom’s No. 5 was hoisted to the rafters before the Red Wings’ game against the Colorado Avalanche on Thursday night.
Among the speakers honoring Lidstrom were coach Mike Babcock and GM Ken Holland. But it was Lidstrom that was the star – ironic when you consider how often others grabbed the spotlight while Lidstrom did the heavy lifting in the background.
One of his most memorable moments was a look back at his beginnings with the Red Wings:
“I didn’t know much about the history of the team. I knew that Steve Yzerman was the captain and had played here a long time, but besides that I didn’t know a whole lot about the team. So when the trainer at the time ask me what number I would like if I made the team, I told him ‘I wore No. 9 in Sweden and it would be great if I could get No. 9 again.’ He just said, ‘Kid that just ain’t going to happen,’” he said, standing under the retired No. 9 of Gordie Howe.
“So I came back here in the fall of ’91 and just kept my mouth shut. No. 5 was handed to me.”
Watch the full ceremony here, and celebrate the legacy of one of the greatest defensemen to ever lace up the skates in the NHL.

Check out a photo gallery of Lidstrom’s number retirement ceremony.