UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey recently spoke with Spanish-language daily Hoy newspaper and said that, under the right circumstances, she believes that she could beat heavyweight king Cain Velasquez.
"In any given moment, under the right circumstance, I think it is possible," Rousey said of beating Velasquez when asked if she thought she could.
"You cannot tell me that it is physically impossible. It is possible that in any given moment that I could beat him. I simply believe in my possibilities."
The Olympic judo bronze medalist never seems to lack in confidence but her assertion that she could beat Velasquez despite giving up about a hundred pounds in weight, might seem over the top. Before you're quick to criticize "Rowdy" Ronda as delusional, however, remember that competitive fighting is necessarily an audacious practice.
In order to have a chance at successfully facing the tension of a fight, fighters need to believe in themselves to a ridiculous degree. In effect, all Rousey is saying is that, in a hypothetical situation where she had to fight Velasquez for some insane reason, she wouldn't just curl up and die - she'd fight on and believes that she'd find a way to win somehow.

You've gotta love that champion's attitude. Rousey, of course, next fights in the Octagon in December against rival Miesha Tate.
The two can be seen coaching opposite one another on The Ultimate Fighter season 18 which airs Wednesdays on Fox Sports Net 1.
Follow Elias on Twitter @EliasCepeda