Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki has done a lot of losing over his career. Sure, things looked strong at the beginning as the Rockies made it to the World Series during his rookie season. They would reach the playoffs again in 2009, but haven't gone to the postseason since.
[Play a Daily Fantasy contest for cash today!]
Throughout that time, Tulowitzki has been the face of the franchise. After signing a 10-year, $157.75 million deal with the club in 2010, it looked like he might be a Rockie for life.
But losing can take a toll on a player's morale. The Rockies are on their way to their fifth straight losing season, and Tulowitzki doesn't sound too excited about the next couple months.
UPDATE: Tulowitzki was responding to a question regarding his 41-game on-base streak coming to an end. In that context, the quote doesn't appear as scandalous. It is still incredibly depressing, though. The quote was initially distributed without context, making it seem as though he was fed up with the team.
Troy Tulowitzki after another #Rockies loss: "Hopefully I can be into every single pitch and pretend like something is on the line."
— Nick Groke (@nickgroke) July 22, 2015
Yikes! That's one of the most depressing quotes we've ever heard from a player.
Obviously, the quote takes on a much more sinister meaning if you believe he's referring to the team's performance.
Since the Rockies won't be competing for anything, Tulowitzki will have to "pretend like something is on the line" during the second half. That's rough.
His quote seems to suggest that Tulowitzki might be happier with a winning club. While there have been trade rumors surrounding the 30-year-old, Tulowitzki has remained adamant that he wants to stay in Colorado.*
Earlier on Tuesday, Tulo told Tracy Ringolsby of MLB.com that he signed with the team for a reason.
"I didn't sign my contract because I wanted to be somewhere else," Tulowitzki said of the 10-year, $157.75 million deal that includes an option for 2021 that would add another $11 million to the total value. "I signed my contract because I want to be with the Rockies."
It's certainly possible Tulowitzki is just doing the diplomatic thing and refusing to stir up controversy. If he would be happier away from Colorado, it does him no good to publicly announce it. Doing so could hinder his trade value, and would certainly hurt his reputation with the fans.*
He's said all the right things thus far, but that quote after Tuesday's loss speaks volumes. Losing is tough, and it's rare that a player openly admits how difficult it is to be motivated for a game when there's nothing on the line.*

[Check out Big League Stew on Tumblr for even more baseball awesomeness.]
Perhaps Tulo is being honest about wanting to remain in Colorado long-term, but it sure doesn't sound like it after Tuesday's quote.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
[B]Follow @Chris_Cwik