Vijay Singh turned back the clock in Thursday's opening round of the Sony Open in Hawaii.*
Playing in the early wave, the 52-year-old Fijian shot 7-under 63 at Waialae Country Club, a score that ultimately held up to share the first-round lead with four other players, including Brandt Snedeker, Kevin Kisner, Ricky Barnes and Morgan Hoffmann.*
Singh, who hasn't won since the 2008 Deutsche Bank Championship, carded seven birdies against no bogeys, including a pair of closing birdies on the eighth and ninth holes to wrap up his round.
"I didn't know what to expect," Singh said after the round. "I was playing well, feeling good about my body, my swing, my mind. So I just went out there, and it was early, so I didn't know how it was going to turn out. But started off well and kept it going."
Of course it's early, but Singh's position begged the research: Were he to win on Sunday, the 2005 Sony Open champion would surpass Sam Snead as the oldest-ever PGA Tour winner. On Sunday, Singh will be*Singh will be 52 years, 10 months and 26 days old. That would be 18 days older than when Snead won the 1965 Greater Greensboro Open.
Kisner, who earned his breakthrough PGA Tour win in the final event of 2015, is again in position for a high finish and perhaps a second victory.
Snedeker, who finished tied for second a week ago at Kapalua, continues his great play perhaps somewhat spurred on by an embarrassing 84 shot in December at the Australian PGA Championship. It's the second week for him with a new Bridgestone driver in play, and he feels more comfortable with it in his hands.
"I got it, hit it one time, and I said I think I found a new driver," he said. "Worked out great last week, it was great today and it was kind of nice to have an extra five or eight yards every once in a while when you need it."
Former Sony Open winner Zach Johnson, tournament mainstay Charles Howell III and Si Woo Kim all share sixth, in with 6-under 64s.

Ryan Ballengee is a Yahoo Sports contributor. Find him on Facebook and Twitter.
Follow @RyanBallengee
LISTEN TO OUR WEEKLY GOLF PODCAST! This week: Why Jordan Spieth's 2016 ultimately doesn't matter