Hey, did you know that photography is a hobby of Kevin Durant’s? It is! He wrote about it for The Players Tribune back in November of 2015:
Last month I turned 27, and my friend got me a camera for my birthday — one of those big digital cameras with a nice lens. Growing up, I got cameras as gifts and I always did the same thing: take it out of the box, try it out for a couple days and then never really use it again. But this time — and I don’t know why — I started taking it almost everywhere I went.
Being behind the camera was new for me because I’m usually in front of it. I’ve already gained a lot of respect for photographers because you have to be ready all the time. You never want to miss a shot. I think that’s what I like about it.
[Join a Yahoo Daily Fantasy Basketball contest now | Free NBA Yahoo Cup entry]
He even got a chance to cover Super Bowl 50 as a sideline photographer for The Players Tribune, calling it “a dream offer” … which earned him a bit of good-natured ribbin’ from his ol’ buddy Russell Westbrook:
Kevin Durant talks about his Super Bowl experience while Russell Westbrook heckles him pic.twitter.com/LXDpyZVRuK
— Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) February 8, 2016
This was the moment Russell Westbrook got caught by KD pic.twitter.com/qMlXLRZcvj
— Anthony Slater (@anthonyVslater) February 8, 2016
Haha! Pretty good. Man, I’d forgotten about that. Fun trip down memory lane, you guys.
Oh, also, in a totally unrelated story, Russ showed up for the Oklahoma City Thunder’s nationally televised game against the Golden State Warriors — the team that, as you might have heard, Durant joined in free agency this past summer — wearing an outfit headlined by an accessory that raised even more eyebrows than Westbrook’s typical runway-ready fare: a bright orange “Official Photographer” bib.

Russell Westbrook has arrived. (Of note: One of Kevin Durant's hobbies is photography): pic.twitter.com/Tvus1gnxx4
— Royce Young (@royceyoung) November 4, 2016
The popular interpretation of the recontextualized top thus far has been that Westbrook was continuing to offer a smirk and a sneer in Durant’s direction, as he appears to have done in a variety of contexts over the four months since KD decided to leave OKC to join the Warriors in free agency (and without so much as a phone call):
Between the cupcakes and the photographers outfit, Westbrook is leading the league in shade too.
— Myles Brown (@mdotbrown) November 4, 2016
if westbrook does this pose at some point tonight then he's the most savage active NBA player pic.twitter.com/8ykXuCdKYK
— ?netw3rk (@netw3rk) November 4, 2016
Then again, maybe it’s something else.
Westbrook has insisted ever since the dissolution of his eight-year partnership with Durant that he doesn’t focus on what anybody else says or does and that he just “continued about [his] day” after learning Durant was leaving. After Wednesday night’s Thunder win over the Los Angeles Clippers, Westbrook made it clear that he planned to play Thursday’s game against the Warriors like it was any other game, and that he wasn’t interested in addressing any Durant-related questions, despite media persistence on the matter.
Maybe, then, the bib’s less a shot at the amateur photographer he used to play with than one at the professionals who keep talking and writing about his relationship with Durant like they’re characters in a daytime soap opera?
@DrLwyrIndnChf @freemaneric or maybe it's a comment about how much media will be at this game.
— Byron Scott Adams (@basquiatball) November 4, 2016
Media be like:
Westbrook arrived in shoes.
KD owns a pair of shoes.
Article title: "Westbrook takes more shots at KD"
— Agent 00 (@CallMeAgent00) November 4, 2016
Even though it's Russ, I'm still surprised by the level of ZFG with today's outfit. That was not a subtle shot at KD
— Nate Jones (@JonesOnTheNBA) November 4, 2016
I honestly think it's an even deeper message than that, but that's none of my biz lol https://t.co/0FF2gvfz7S
— Nate Jones (@JonesOnTheNBA) November 4, 2016
Or, hell, maybe Russ just really likes that shade of orange. Sometimes a cigar’s just a cigar, right?
Annnd here's Russell Westbrook pregame, explaining how his ensemble tonight is just an absolute total coincidence. pic.twitter.com/7EWedY4pyc

— Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) November 4, 2016
The Brodie tells no lies pic.twitter.com/nNH9XwB35S
— NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) November 4, 2016
Then again …

… maybe not.
We know too much about how everything works these days. I kinda like not knowing if Russ is being childish or petty or just typically weird.
— Farmer Jones (@thefarmerjones) November 4, 2016
Whatever the intent, Our Man In Orange — which, by the way, is the second-highest threat level in the Homeland Security Advisory System, topped only by red — enters Oracle on one hellacious roll, leading the only remaining unbeaten team in the Western Conference and looking to prove that, KD or no, the Thunder remain a force to be reckoned with in the Western Conference. Tipoff can’t come soon enough. Get your cameras ready.
– – – – – – –
Dan Devine is an editor for Ball Don’t Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @YourManDevine
Stay connected with Ball Don’t Lie on Twitter @YahooBDL, “Like” BDL on Facebook and follow Dunks Don’t Lie on Tumblr for year-round NBA talk, jokes and more.