Jack Nicklaus is a proponent of Olympic golf and a believer in what the game's place on the Olympic program can do for its growth.*
It's not surprising, then, that Nicklaus said he was disappointed when world No. 7 Adam Scott announced he would not participate in the men's Olympic golf tournament in August in Brazil.
"I think that's sad. I think it's sad for the Olympics and for the game of golf," Nicklaus said Wednesday at a charity event in Ohio related to his Memorial Tournament, according to Golf Digest. "I don't know Adam's circumstances, so I couldn't comment on what he's dealing with. Obviously, he felt like he couldn't play, and if he felt that way, I understand. But it's unfortunate."
Scott made the announcement early Wednesday on the Australian clock, making official what the 2013 Masters winner had suggested publicly for the better part of two years. In announcing his decision, Scott cited a busy schedule and a lengthy list of commitments. The spread of the Zika virus in Latin America likely contributed to his decision, too.
Nicklaus hopes that the 60-player events for men and women will be a hit on the Olympic stage. The International Olympic Committee is set to vote in 2017 on the future of the Olympic program, including golf's fate. So far, golf is only guaranteed a place in the program in 2016 and in Tokyo in 2020. The Golden Bear views the Olympics as an opportunity for the sport to showcase the new generation of pros.
"What I'm concerned about is that golf has a little bit of momentum going right now," said Nicklaus. "If the guys don't want to participate, then we might not be in the Olympics after this. They vote next year. And if they vote to keep golf in, then that's great, but if not then we lose that momentum with growing the game."

Ryan Ballengee is a Yahoo Sports contributor. Find him on Facebook and Twitter.
Follow @RyanBallengee
LISTEN TO OUR WEEKLY GOLF PODCAST! This week: Why golf still obsesses over Tiger Woods