It's been over 16 months since Alex Rodriguez started a professional baseball game at third base. And despite the time away serving his yearlong suspension for PED use last season and the multiple hip surgeries limiting his mobility, he reportedly sees himself as the frontrunner for the starting job at the hot corner with the Yankees in 2015.
The fact New York signed Chase Headley to a four-year, $52 million deal this offseason hasn't changed his thinking. An anonymous source close to Rodriguez told Newsday that A-Rod believes he'll be at third base for the Yankees come opening day:
"Alex's mind is that job's not Headley's, it's Alex's to lose. That's what he thinks. Alex is going into training camp thinking that he is the starting third baseman, that if there's a competition, Headley's got to win it from him."
For what it's worth, Rodriguez wasn't quite as boastful in a recent conversation with the New York Post:
"I’m ready to go. I’m feeling really, really good. I am so excited for spring training and to be back with my teammates."
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has repeatedly stated that third base will be Headley's position next season. Sure, Rodriguez might get the occasional start at third when Headley needs some rest, but it's difficult to believe the soon to be 40-year-old can handle that kind of physical grind on an everyday basis. It's safe to say A-Rod will get more at-bats at DH and even first base than at his old spot across the diamond.
Spring training is still over a month away and trust us, these Alex Rodriguez stories are just getting started.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Israel Fehr is a writer for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter. Follow @israelfehr