MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA – Serena Williams started her Australian Open quietly Monday afternoon in Melbourne. The reigning champion defeated Italian Camila Giorgi in straight sets under the hot midday sun, 6-4, 7-5.
“It wasn’t very easy, she obviously plays really well. I haven’t played a competitive match in a really long time,” she said on court after the win, referring to the time she took off following the 2015 U.S. Open. “I think it was really good for me to come out and get through it. It wasn’t quick, so that worked to my advantage as well.”
Her solid yellow tennis skirt and matching cropped shirt seemed to speak to her approach to this season: she has nothing to prove. The dress was a minimal statement compared to last year's multi-colored, neon open-back dress. She's just here to play tennis. Solid tennis. And that's exactly what she accomplished Monday afternoon.
After taking the first set by a break, Williams earned a double break-point opportunity at 5-all in the second. She built the 15-40 opportunity when a lucky bounce at the net sent Giorgi scrambling. Giorgi got there in time to flick the ball over the net, but there was no chance of recovering before Williams sent it well behind beyond her reach. The match seemed to be over.
The 24-year-old Giorgi held her own, though, wielding off Williams to force deuce. She sent Williams lunging after a searing groundstroke that sped past the world No. 1 to take the advantage. But the next Williams return was too much for Giorgi to handle. The game went back to deuce, then to another break-point chance.
“Come on Serena, right here right now, an American yelled from the stands. But it would take no effort from Williams: Giorgi double-faulted to give up the break point and hand Williams the 6-5 advantage in the second set.
She closed the match less than two minutes later with a commanding hold to love, sealed with an ace.
No. 17 Sara Errani was the first top-20 seed to be knocked out, as the Italian succumbed in a lopsided three-setter to Russian Margarita Gasparyan, 1-6, 7-5, 6-1. No.16 Caroline Wozniacki came next, a loss that is shocking on paper but less so when considering that Wozniacki consistently struggles in majors. She has be ousted one round earlier here each year since the 2011 semi-final. This only followed the unfortunate pattern.

Putintseva said after the match that she wa nervous in that first set, because she isn't used to playing on such a large court. Wozniacki took advantage, winning the set 6-1. Putintseva got her emotions in check by the second set, taking it in a tiebreak.
Wozniacki held a 30-0 lead at 4-4 in the deciding third set, only to give back four straight points and the break. The 21-year-old Putintseva rose to the occasion, serving out the win for the biggest victory of her young career.
Americans Nicole Gibbs and Lauren Davis also advanced, both winning in three sets. No. 24 Sloane Stephens fell 6-3, 6-3 to unseeded Qiang Wang of China – meaning the 2013 semi-finalist is out in the first round for the second year in a row. Christina McHale is also out, falling 6-2, 6-3 to No. 4 Agnieszka Radwanska, and Belinda Bencic defeated American Alison Riske, 6-4, 6-3.*