The Sacramento Kings have made a habit of living on the edge late in games this season. The league's most unpredictable team seemingly struggles enough to frustrate head coach George Karl or flirts with an awful collapse several times per week. They're a team only neutrals can love.
[Follow Dunks Don't Lie on Tumblr:*The best slams from all of basketball]
Thursday's visit to the Utah Jazz brought yet another exciting finish. The Kings took the first period 26-12 (holding Utah to season-worst 4-of-24 shooting for a quarter) and led 100-92 with as few as 45 seconds remaining in regulation. Utah erased the lead with three three-point possessions in the final 40 seconds, finishing up the stretch with a Joe Ingles three-pointer with only four seconds left. That set up a chance for Rudy Gay to win the game:

Trey Lyles missed a halfcourt heave at the buzzer to follow Gay's game-winning jumper, giving Sacramento a dramatic 103-101 win. He finished with 24 points on 9-of-17 shooting to star next to the overwhelming DeMarcus Cousins, who had 31 points (10-of-21 FG, 14-of-21 FT) and 17 rebounds. Rajon Rondo added 13 assists.

The result pulls the 16-23 Kings into a virtual tie with the Portland Trail Blazers for ninth place and only one game behind the Jazz for the West's final playoff spot. It's somewhat remarkable that such an up-and-down squad is in that position, but it ultimately says more about the rest of the conference. George Karl didn't exactly seem relieved at the win. From Kareem Copeland of the Associated Press:

''It is the NBA, baby. I watch the same screenplay twice a night,'' Kings coach George Karl said. ''Leads on the road don't last. I thought we could've had a chance at a really close game. We can't give them three three-point plays in the last three possessions. It is just flabbergasting.
''I am happy we won and I think, again, it is a process.''
"Flabbergasting" is probably the best word to describe the Kings right now. I'm almost rooting for them to make the playoffs just to see what carnage they leave in the wake of their elimination.
- - - - - - -
Eric Freeman is a writer for Ball Don't Lie on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @FreemanEric