Washington Redskins receiver Pierre Garcon and New York Giants linebacker Mark Herzlich have become an unlikely duo in fighting a single opponent: cancer.
They might be rivals off the field, but Garcon and Herzlich have teamed up — while maintaining a healthy competitive spirit — to help aid cancer research.
Wahl Clipper, which has been manufacturing professional styling products since 1919, have partnered with the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to create a head-to-head fundraising competition between the two players. Garcon and Herzlich each have until Nov. 12 to raise as much money for the cause as possible, and the winner gets to shave the loser’s head.
The way we figure in this competition, everyone wins. Garcon told the Washington Post that he's happy to help the cause, and he's asking his fans to pitch in with support.
“It’s just a little rivalry competition,” Garcon said. “Hopefully fans can help me raise some money and let me keep my hair.”
Of course, Garcon also noted that he might actually have more to lose in this tete-a-tete, if you will.
“I barely have any hair,” he laughed. “But, as a black guy, when he shaves his head there’s a distinct difference. I like to keep my hair nice. If I have to shave it, it’s all going to be embarrassing. It doesn’t matter who does it. His is easy. Mine is going to be a little hard. I’m actually going to have a barber on call if I lose so I can have the barber fix it afterwards.”
The good news for whomever loses the battle: Their hair very likely will have grown back to its original length by the time the two players meet next on the field on December 1.

- - -
Hit us up on Twitter @YShutdownCorner, email us at [email protected] and "Like" Shutdown Corner on Facebook for NFL conversation 365 days a year, the way it should be.