The Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito story has taken a darker, more bizarre turn.
After the Miami Dolphins suspended Incognito for his role in a reportedly depressed Martin seeking refuge and leaving the team, new details have emerged in the story. It appears we have some evidence — which has been turned over to the NFL as to why Martin felt the need to walk away.
1: Richie Incognito left this VM for Jonathan Martin in April 2013: "Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of (expletive)...
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 4, 2013
2. More Incognito to Martin: "I saw you on Twitter, you been training ten weeks. (I want to) (expletive) in your (expl) mouth.... — Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 4, 2013
3. Incognito VM to Martin: "(I'm going to) slap your (expletive) mouth. (I'm going to) slap your real mother across the face (laughter).
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 4, 2013
4. Incognito to Martin, all on same VM in April 2013: "(Expletive) you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you." — Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) November 4, 2013
This story clearly is far from over. With the Dolphins and the league looking into this matter, and talk of a pervasive locker-room culture gone bad in Miami, expect more details to emerge in this ugly affair.
Incognito took to Twitter to defend himself, even taking a personal shot at ESPN's Schefter wanting his name cleared Sunday night.
@AdamSchefter Enough is enough If you or any of the agents you sound off for have a problem with me, you know where to find me #BRINGIT
— Richie incognito (@68INCOGNITO) November 3, 2013
But Incognito, who has a long list of trouble dating back to college, now has bigger concerns. His suspension won't be overturned anytime soon, it appears, and now comes the question of whether he'll play another snap again in the NFL.

Former NFL head coach Tony Dungy appeared on the "Dan Patrick Show" Monday morning and said that the Indianapolis Colts had Incognito on their "DNDC" draft list (do not draft due to character, Dungy explains) in 2005 when Incognito was coming out because of character concerns. Former NFL general manager Scott Pioli said on "NBC Sunday Night" that the New England Patriots had a similar designation for him.
- - - - - - -
Eric Edholm is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @Eric_Edholm