Pop quiz, hot shot. How many regular season hat-tricks has Patrick Kane accumulated by now?
Prior to the tilt against the Toronto Maple Leafs, he had 230 goals in 622 regular season games. One would assume a prolific scorer like Kane on a team like the Blackhawks would have at least a half-dozen by now. That is, in fact, wrong.
Until Friday’s game, Kane had registered two hat-tricks previously and both came in the post-season. Against the Maple Leafs, he put up his first in the regular season.

From Mark Lazerus of the Chicago Sun Times, “I wouldn’t trade the two in the playoffs for anything in the regular season,” Kane said.
If you were surprised this was Kane’s first regular season hatty, you aren’t the only one. Again, from Lazerus:
“He’s done so much in his life, I couldn’t believe it was his first hat trick,” [Chicago goaltender Scott] Darling said. “That’s awesome. What’s left to do?”
“I had no clue it was his first hat trick,” Hawks coach Joel Quenneville said, blaming himself for not always playing Kane late in games with a lead. “I would have bet he’d have more than a handful.”
In addition to his 3 goals, he assisted on Artemi Panarin’s power play tally in the second period. The Blackhawks won their 10th straight game, 4-1.
- - - - - - -
Jen Neale is an editor for Puck Daddy on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email her at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter! Follow @MsJenNeale_PD.

MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY: