With Pablo Sandoval's departure from San Francisco soon to be confirmed after the 28-year-old third baseman reportedly signed a five-year deal worth $100 million with the Red Sox, Sandoval sent a goodbye message to Giants fans thanking them for their support over his seven years in the Bay Area.
In an Instagram post, he wrote:
To the greatest fans in San Francisco! Leaving the #SFGiants & this city I love is the most difficult decision I have ever made. I have grown up w/you, laughed & cried w/you & you have blessed me w your support, friendship & love. It has been an unforgettable @SFGiants career, a great run & 3 World Series championships in 5 yrs w/great teammates, coaches, front office & fans. I will always remember you w love & my heart will always be in #SF.
The Giants also released a statement on Monday recognizing Sandoval's contributions to the team's recent run of success.
Pablo Sandoval has been a key member of the Giants since breaking into the Majors with us in 2008.* He has been with us through some of the greatest moments in San Francisco Giants history – including all three World Series Championships. We will never forget his World Series MVP performance in 2012 and his numerous contributions to the 2014 Championship.* His connection with Giants fans – young and old – is truly special and he will be greatly missed. We wish him nothing but the best in Boston.
We are extremely proud of what our team accomplished in 2014 and we look forward to continuing to invest in and strengthen our team for next season.*
Giants fans watched Sandoval, who joined the organization as a 16-year-old international free agent in 2002, grow into a multi-time All-Star and World Series MVP. Affectionally nicknamed the Kung Fu Panda his presence will be missed at AT&T Park, but it's not a surprise he took Boston's money and in the end it's not a crushing loss for San Francisco.
After all, they've won three of the last five World Series and they now have plenty of options to spend the $90-plus million they were willing to commit to Sandoval.
A beloved figure in the Bay Area is headed to Boston, where he is set to be introduced alongside Hanley Ramirez on Tuesday afternoon. Now that the goodbyes are out of the way, it'll be fun to watch how this one plays out from both ends.
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports: