Oregon State running back Storm Woods was released from a Salt Lake City hospital late Saturday night and allowed to fly home with his teammates after being taken from the field in an ambulance in the fourth quarter.
Woods was injured while diving to make a block in pass protection and being hit in the head by an onrushing Utah player's thigh. After several minutes of showing no movement, Woods was able to acknowledge applause from the crowd by briefly raising his hand.
The Beavers beat the Utes 51-48 in overtime.
Oregon State coach Mike Riley said he was able to feel positive about Woods even as he watched the running back being loaded in an ambulance because Woods was able to move and because of the reports he received from doctors and trainers.
“That, understandably so, takes the wind out of you," Riley said after the game. "Everybody was worried. Then when the doctors and trainers came over and said that he was responsive and moving, everybody lightened up. They gave him a big applause and just started playing again.
“All I know is that he is stable. It seemed to be a very positive outlook.”
Riley later tweeted an update on Woods.

He's doing well #BeaverNation, making the trip home! @Storm34thetruth #GoBeavs pic.twitter.com/4aXXTosjCF
— Mike Riley (@Coach_Riley) September 15, 2013
Woods also tweeted thanking his teammates for the win and the support he received after being injured.
Man I love my team glad y'all boys won