Your browser does not support iframes.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Ned Yost has talked about the "piles of abuse" he's taken from Kansas City Royals fans who have been unhappy with his lineups, tactics, statements to the media, and whatever else. Yost also has said that he understands — the fans just want to win and, until recently in Royals history, they hadn't been winning much. It had been 29 years, until Wednesday night at Kauffman Stadium, that the Royals had made the World Series.
On a stage in shallow center field after a 2-1 victory against the Baltimore Orioles in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series, broadcaster Ernie Johnson of TBS asked Yost if he could believe the Royals were going back.
"Yeah, Ernie. Dayton and I have been planning this for five years," Yost said. "Of course, we believe it. But the special thing about this today, is that each and every one of these guys have worked so hard to bring a championship to our city and to you — our fans."
Yost's voice cracked on "our fans."
"Thank you, thank you, thank you for your wonderful support," Yost continued, speaking toward the grandstand. "Thank you for being behind us; this is for you!"
Though some of his choices and methods might seem like they're from another time, Yost is evolving, outfielder Jarrod Dyson said.
"Absolutely. Ned came in and Ned had a lot of rules and all that," Dyson said. "You've got to respect your manager but, at the same time, a manager has got to let players be players to get the best out of them. That's the adjustment both sides had to make.
"Players have been allowed to be themselves, just as long as they're being respectful. That's all he asks for, and that's what we're going to give him. We're going to go out there and play hard every night for him."
Under cover at a press conference a few minutes later, Yost repeated that winning never has been about him.
"I don't need vindication," Yost said. "I'm real — you know — I'm comfortable with who I am."
Yost acknowledges what critical fans and media say. The Royals bunt too much. He's been too rigid with his bullpen rules. His substitutions lack reason. He's stuck with Mike Moustakas for too long. Why does Billy Butler keep playing? And so on.
"I'm 'The dumbest guy on the face of the Earth,' " Yost said. "But I know that's not true. I've got — I am smart enough to hire really, really good coaches and use them."
Still, it's Yost's team. He wields the most influence. The buck stops with Ned. In earlier times when the Royals didn't win, it reflected on Yost. Whatever was wrong, it was his fault. That the Royals are in the World Series should reflect positively on Yost. And yet, he's dodging mirrors like a vampire.
"I don't feel like I need vindication," Yost said. "I'm not looking for it, don't care for it.
"My whole goal — none of this was ever about me. Winning a championship was all about this city, our fans, and these players. I've been [to a World Series] six times before, I know how special it is. And I wanted my players to experience it. I wanted the city of Kansas City to experience it and our fans.
"We're going to do that here next week."
And Dyson is happy for Yost, too.

"We like to keep it loose in here, and that's something he had to adjust to," Dyson said. "It's working out. To see him put a smile on his face, it's a great feeling. He's never been in this position [as a manager]. I think that it's everybody's dream, to go to the World Series, and he's having fun coaching a great bunch right now."
More MLB coverage at Yahoo Sports:*

- - - - - - -
David Brown is an editor for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter!
Follow @AnswerDave*