When you hear Mike Ditka's name, you think toughness, fury and passion. He epitomizes football, both as a tight end at Pitt and as a pro for the Dallas Cowboys and Chicago Bears, as well as a Super Bowl-winning coach.
However, Ditka, 76, realizes attitudes toward football are changing quickly, particularly as parents try to reconcile what we're learning about concussions and what that could mean for their children is they choose to play the game.*
"People ask me the question. I would never discourage my son from playing football or baseball or anything else, but I would probably say, 'Hey, listen, you ought to try golf,'" Ditka said to the Chicago Tribune.
"Seriously. And I think that's what's going to happen to a degree. And that's just the way it's going to be."*
That's a powerful statement from one of the sport's all-time most important figures, with an influence spanning this day to ESPN's pre-game coverage. And he's likely right. Parents will look for safer alternatives for kids, and golf is right up there. However, for golf to truly attract and retain those curious parents bringing their kids to the game, the sport will have to expand opportunities to participate in programs like The First Tee, PGA of America Junior Leagues and in-school programs like TGA Premier Junior Golf.

Ryan Ballengee is a Yahoo Sports contributor. Find him on Facebook and Twitter.

Follow @RyanBallengee
LISTEN TO OUR WEEKLY GOLF PODCAST! This week: Setting the bar after Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods