The Montreal Canadiens could have used Max Pacioretty late in their game against the Anaheim Ducks. But as they scrambled to find a way to tie Thursday night’s game – which ended in a 2-1 win for the visiting Ducks – Pacioretty was getting evaluated after a brutal Clayton Stoner hit along the boards.
Pacioretty left the game at 4:04 of the third period. He passed the puck up ice and, frankly, admired the pass a bit. But Stoner delivered a hard check to his side, twisting the Montreal forward’s body around. Pacioretty face-planted into the glass. He was helped to the back and was eventually taken to the hospiral for precautionary tests.*
Expectedly, the two sides had differing views of the incident. From the Gazette:
“I didn’t like the hit,” said [Montreal Coach Michel] Therrien, but he refrained from discussing the matter further.
The one Canadien who was unequivocal in his assessment of the hit was Pacioretty’s close friend, David Desharnais. “It should have been a penalty,” said Desharnais, who went to suggest that a five-minute major for boarding was in order.*

Said Clayton Stoner: "I think their team wasn't happy about it. … I didn't mean to hurt him but the game's fast and sometimes guys go into the boards wrong, so I hope he's all right and I didn't mean any intentions to hurt him."
What do you think? No penalty on the play; could Stoner get something from the League?