Maryland received a boost to its defense on Friday.
The program officially announced the addition of linebacker Jefferson Ashiru, a graduate transfer from UConn. The 6-foot-2, 230-pound Ashiru played in 30 games for UConn over the past three years, including 19 starts.
He’ll be eligible immediately for the Terps in 2015.
“We are thrilled to welcome Jefferson to the Maryland football family,” head coach Randy Edsall said. “Jefferson has experience as a starter and can play multiple positions at linebacker. He has a tremendous work ethic and terrific understanding of the game. During his time at UConn, he played in a similar system and he will make a seamless transition. We are confident he will be a great team leader for our football program.”*
Added Ashiru: “I’m really excited to join the Maryland football program and have the opportunity to compete in the Big Ten Conference. I have known Coach Edsall and was also recruited by (Maryland defensive backs coach) Darrell Perkins, so those relationships played a key role in my decision to come to Maryland. Coach Edsall is a tremendous leader who cares deeply about his players. I’m looking forward to furthering my education and continuing my football career for a great University.**
Ashiru played in nine games and had 47 tackles for UConn in 2014, but parted ways with the program late in the season. Ashiru’s father said first-year UConn head coach Bob Diaco “forced him out” from the program. Diaco said otherwise.
"I mean, I clearly know all the details," Diaco said in November. "Jefferson decided that he didn't want to be on the team anymore. I didn't decide it. He decided*it.
"I wish him the best and I hope he finds happiness and success. He's a fine young man, he really is. He's a fine young man who's bright, and when he finds something that he loves or a situation that he loves, he's going to have nothing but*success."
Ashiru’s best season came in 2013 when he started 10 games and registered 58 tackles and eight tackles for loss. He also had eight tackles as a redshirt freshman in 2012.

A native of Powder Springs, Ga., Ashiru graduated from UConn with a degree in economics. He’ll pursue a master’s degree in real estate development, Maryland said.*
For more Maryland news, visit TerrapinSportsReport.com.
- - - - - - -
Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @SamDCooper