LAS VEGAS – Mark Messier gave in and selected Jonathan Toews for the Mark Messier Leadership Award, presented and selected by Mark Messier and sponsored by a tire company.*
Toews inexplicably had not won the award, which started in 2007, in spite of being the NHL’s top leader since oh … he won his first Stanley Cup in 2010 with the Blackhawks. That’s five times Mess didn’t pick Toews since that Cup. Andrew Ladd and Ryan Getzlaf were the other nominees, selected by Mark Messier.*
Toews was snubbed in both of his Cup years, like big time. In 2010 Sidney Crosby won the award. Why? It’s not like he did anything super leader-like that year. Toews only captained a team to its first championship in 49 years – not like Mess knows a thing or two about leading a long suffering franchise to a championship.
Oh wait, there was that one time…

And then in 2013, Mess chose Daniel Alfredsson. Alfredsson then did a very leader-like thing in leaving the Ottawa Senators in free agency shortly after. In fairness, Messier did leave the Rangers as a UFA in 1997.*
So Mess, how do you define leadership and what’s it like trying to find a winner?
“It’s so complicated, the process, because you have to look at what’s going on on the ice and then of course what’s going on off the ice,” Mess said. “That’s what the leadership award really symbolizes, is leadership on and off the ice.”
Why had he not picked Toews before?
“It all started with Jonathan coming in there, taking over the leadership role, and good things have followed ever since,” Mess said. “It’s been working towards this moment for a long time in my opinion, and it couldn’t be happier with our choice. And certainly more than worthy of the nomination and the award today.”
So basically, one Stanley Cup wasn’t enough. Two? Nah, not yet. Three, yeah that’s the sweet spot to finally be recognized.*
Did Toews feel like he had to equal Messier's six to finally win?
There is also a charitable element to the award which was brought up. His video from earlier in the year buying Girl Scout cookies from a 5-year-old Hawks fan was adorable.*
Toews seemed pumped to finally win the Mess.*
“It’s hard for me to believe and it’s almost something you feel bashful or I guess embarrassed is the wrong word,” he said. “It’s something you don’t feel worthy of. It’s an incredible honor.”

There does have to be some variety I guess. Mess can't give it to Toews every year, right? Well, if Toews had a 'Messier Incentive' in his contract, he finally hit it Wednesday.*
- - - - - - -
Josh Cooper is an editor for Puck Daddy on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @joshuacooper
MORE FROM YAHOO HOCKEY