If Johnny Manziel is looking for an endorsement to push him for his second consecutive Heisman Trophy, LSU coach Les Miles is in his corner.
During his Monday press conference, Miles had nothing but praise for the Texas A&M signal caller.
"The Heisman Trophy winner from last year, Johnny Manziel, is bigger, faster, stronger," Miles said. "He's thrown for 3,300 yards, 31 touchdowns. I see him as a much more complete quarterback, a very good player. If there's a better player in college football, I'd like to know who he is."
Miles was speaking about Manziel as the Tigers prepare to face the Aggies this weekend. LSU won last year’s meeting 24-19, but Miles was still impressed with the way Manziel, then a freshman, led his team.
Miles said he took time to watch Manziel during LSU’s bye week and said he’s improved as a passer.
"I think a year ago he was a runner. I think this year he's a much more capable quarterback,” Miles said. “I think he steps back in there, understands what to expect, and seems to be stronger in the ability to throw it.”
So far this season, Manziel has completed 65 more passes than a year ago and thrown the ball 119 more times. He has throw for 393 more yards and five more touchdowns, and he still has two regular season games and a bowl game remaining. However, those increased passing numbers have led to more turnovers. Manziel has 11 interceptions this year as compared to nine a year ago.

Manziel also has struggled with fumbling this season, which is a product of him carrying the ball with one hand and away from his body when he scrambles. But even Manziel’s ability to control the ball with one hand impresses Miles.
"It's an amazing thing, isn't it? The idea that you handle the ball so effectively with one hand. I mean, it's the dangdest thing I've ever seen,” Miles said. “He makes the turn, he'll circle the ball with his hand to make that left hand turn. Again, it's a very special talent, strength and ability to move his feet and control the ball. You know what, it doesn't come out of his hand in the pocket, either. He's a guy that has ball security even though he carries it unusually."
- - - - - - -
Graham Watson is the editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email her at [email protected] or follow her on Twitter!Follow @YahooDrSaturday