Lorena Ochoa will make a one-time-only return to the LPGA Tour in May. (Getty Images) Lorena Ochoa hasn’t competed on the LPGA Tour since 2012, a little more than two years after she shocked the golf world with her announcement at the age of 28 to walk away from competitive golf at the end of the season to start a family with her husband.
In May, Ochoa, now 35, will come back for a one-week-only affair in her home country.
While at last week’s WGC-Mexico Championship in Mexico City, Ochoa shared she will play in the Lorena Ochoa Match Play on the LPGA Tour in May. The tournament, originally known as the Lorena Ochoa Invitational, has changed formats and dates for 2017, moving from November and a limited-field, stroke-play event to May and the match-play format.
“I know I’m going to play, so I’ve been practicing a couple of days a week,” Ochoa said, according to the Associated Press, at the WGC-Mexico Championship. “But I promise after tomorrow, I’m going to practice every day. I play OK. I enjoy it.”
Ochoa, a mother of three, last played on the LPGA Tour in her event in November 2012 before her first child was born. When she announced her plans in April 2010 to walk away from the LPGA, she was No. 1 in the Rolex Rankings. She won 27 times on the LPGA Tour, including two major championships.

Ryan Ballengee is a Yahoo Sports contributor. Find him on Facebook and Twitter.