The Seahawks and 49ers played a fun NFC Championship Game on Sunday night, but Richard Sherman's activities — notably his taunting of Michael Crabtree and the Niners after Sherman forced a late interception, but also his postgame interview with Fox Sports' Erin Andrews — really had people talking. Sherman told the world:
"I'm the best corner in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that is the result you are going to get. Don't you ever talk about me," Sherman shouted.
Andrews then asked, "Who was talking about you?"
"Crabtree. Don't you open your mouth about the best, or I'm going to shut if for you really quick," Sherman screamed.
Notably from the world of Major League Baseball, Detroit Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander said Sherman's words and actions wouldn't play very well in his sandlot:
So Russell is a class act! Sherman on the other hand.... If he played baseball would get a high and tight fastball.
— Justin Verlander (@JustinVerlander) January 20, 2014
("Russell" being Russell Wilson, who gets a stamp of approval because he's kinder and gentler than Sherman, who went off-script. )
As for the "high and tight" one, Verlander probably is right. The problem is, any kind of purpose pitch would have to come next spring or next season or the next time his team played Sherman's. He made, or helped make, the biggest play in the game. And then it was over. His team won. There was no next at-bat for Sherman to get plunked. Also: Taunting the opponent might not be cool, but throwing at someone's head, or even threatening to, is not cool, either.
Crabtree wasn't waiting for spring training to get the last word, though. He tried to get in a lick at Sherman on Twitter, too:

Film don't lie... @nflnetwork @espn pull up the tape of that game and show me where this guy is the best? #fake #fake #fake — Michael Crabtree (@KingCrab15) January 20, 2014
Dude, how about Colin Kaepernick's last throw toward you that Sherman tipped to a teammate for an interception? That wasn't a fake George Halas Trophy that Sherman was carefully holding after the game. That was the real deal.
- - - - - - -
David Brown edits Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @AnswerDave