To say Detroit Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias has no regrets regarding his heated dugout exchange with catcher James McCann on Friday would be an understatement.
Speaking to the media before Saturday's game against the Boston Red Sox, Iglesias repeatedly stated he would not have done anything differently. Iglesias believed he handled the situation exactly as he should have, which will raise some eyebrows.
[Yahoo Sports Fantasy Football: Sign up and join a league today!]
From MLive.com:
Iglesias was asked whether he thought he should have handled things differently?
"No," he said. "I do not. I did what I was supposed to do."
Someone clarified that the question was regarding his actions in the dugout, not in the field. Iglesias stood his ground.
"Yeah," he said. "It's fine. I'm OK with it."
Did he regret that the entire incident played out on camera?
"I don't mind," he said. "I don't mind the cameras either. I think I just go by instinct and my instincts tell me to do that and I'm OK with it."
The incident in question happened immediately after Detroit came off the field in the sixth inning. During that half inning, Iglesias appeared to give up on a couple plays that may have resulted differently with better effort. Regardless, catcher James McCann wasn't happy and appeared to let Iglesias know as much. That led to Iglesias shoving McCann and later throwing his glove at him.*
As we noted, incidents like these are bound to happen throughout the course of a tense 162-game schedule. They happen far more than we'll ever know because most of them happen behind closed doors. With this incident being so public though and actually turning physical for a brief moment, it had to be addressed. But Iglesias' comment didn't give it the closure we're sure his teammates and manager Brad Ausmus were looking for.*
Here's another snippet:
Iglesias was asked whether he gave full effort on that play. He answered a specific question with generalities.
"I think I have a chance to make each and every play when I'm at short," Iglesias said. "There's no doubt about it. I just try to come here and do my job. I don't tell anybody how to play your position. I just go out there and do my best."
In other words, Igleisas and McCann won't be going out for dinner and drinks anytime soon.
[Check out Big League Stew on Tumblr for even more baseball awesomeness.]
That's all well and good too. They don't have to be best friends. But it's interesting that Iglesias is seemingly allowing the situation to simmer, rather than sweeping it under the rug.*
Tigers manager Brad Ausmus was asked if he had any response to*the comments Iglesias made.
"I don't really have a response to it," Ausmus said. "Maybe he subscribes to the theory that there's no bad press."
That could be it, too. Either way, the whole thing doesn't reflect all that well on Ausmus.*

Sometimes the manager has to manage. Sometimes the manager has to babysit. And sometimes he has to be willing to step between players and diffuse tension. This seems like one of those times.*
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813