It's hard to criticize NFL players for retiring while they're still in their athletic prime, with whatever health they have left and money they've accumulated. It's not an easy profession.
Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Jason Worilds became the third player to retire from the NFL in recent days, despite what was likely to be a big contract in free agency. He is just 27. He joins quarterback Jake Locker and linebacker Patrick Willis in early retirement. Locker and Willis walked away at 26 and 30 years old this week, respectively.
Worilds' agent Jason Bernstein sent out a four-part message on Twitter from Worilds on his decision. Worilds posted the same message on his verified Twitter feed in the early-morning hours on Wednesday.
"I appreciate all of the interest from the organizations that have reached out to us the past few days," Worilds said, via Bernstein's Twitter posts. "With that being said, after much thought and consideration I have chosen to step away from football as I have opted to pursue other interests. I am especially grateful of the opportunity to play before some of the greatest fans in football today. Despite any concern and speculation that may ensue, I appreciate those that are respectful of my decision."
There's no question Worilds would have landed with some team and made a good salary for the next few years, as one of the top pass rushers on the free-agent market. The Steelers put the transition tag on him last year, which paid him $9.75 million. He had a good year too, with seven-and-a-half sacks. Since becoming a regular starter in 2013 Worilds had 15.5 sacks in 31 games.
But again, the NFL is not always an easy life, no matter how much they get paid. Willis said he walked away because of injuries to his feet, aware of other players who had suffered physically after retirement. Locker had dealt with injuries too and said he didn't have the desire necessary to play professionally anymore.

Most people can't imagine walking away from the glamorous side of the NFL, especially with the chance to make a small fortune for a few more years. But Worilds, like Willis and Locker, just didn't want to play anymore, no matter the paycheck. It's understandable.
- - - - - - -
Frank Schwab is the editor of Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @YahooSchwab