OXNARD, Calif. — Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff has had a lot of firsts recently. He took part in his first NFL practice. He threw out the first pitch at a Dodger game (and ended his feud with Yasiel Puig). He signed his first NFL contract. And Tuesday, he took his first snaps with the first-team offense.
After spending the first seven of the Rams’ organized team activities learning the offense, the No. 1 overall pick spent a substantial amount of time Tuesday with the Rams’ starters during full-team drills.
“It was fun to get out there,” Goff said. “It felt good. It didn’t feel much different than the last few days. It’s just a different group of guys. It’s exciting. I hope to, over time, build my relationship with them. It went well.”
Goff’s teammates Tuesday included running back Benny Cunningham, tight end Corey Harkey and wide receiver Bradley Marquez. Running back Todd Gurley, whose 1,106 rushing yards earned him AP Offensive Rookie of the Year honors, was given the day off, but looked on in street clothes. Case Keenum, who started six games last season, also received first-team reps.*
Goff admitted that it was challenging at first to recognize and react to the different looks defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ unit threw at him.
“One play is never like the next with them,” Goff said. “They do it well. It’s tough for the offense, even playing them everyday in practice, to keep recognizing the looks in and of itself more quickly, that sort of thing. I was practicing well. I was definitely picking it up. … As you practice in front of it more, you’re able to recognize it quicker.”
And Goff knows the reps he’s getting against the first team in OTAs will pay off down the line as he enters his first NFL season.
“In the long run I think it’s going to be very beneficial and something to look back on and be like, ‘Wow, I saw all that early on, I recognize it now.’”
Goff said he’s becoming more confident every day and was in control Tuesday, with no major miscues aside from one errant interception thrown toward the end of practice. He had a highlight-reel worthy moment when he threw a long pass to wide-open receiver Michael Thomas for a sure touchdown, but Thomas dropped the easy catch.
“It’s a higher speed, especially with the first-team defense,” he said. “But I think, as time went on with the past eight practices, it starts to slow down a bit more. You get more comfortable and you see stuff more often, you see the looks and it starts to slow down.”

The Rams finish up their OTAs this week and will have some time off before picking up practice again in July. Goff isn’t taking his foot off the pedal, though. After making some time to visit family, Goff said he will return to Los Angeles to work out and connect with his teammates.
“That’s the good thing about living in L.A.,” he said. “People want to stay here in the summer.”