Micheal Haley #38 of the San Jose Sharks celebrates his second period goal with teammates during a NHL game against the Buffalo Sabres at SAP Center at San Jose on March 14, 2017 in San Jose, California. (Getty Images) A mistake by Buffalo Sabres forward Jack Eichel in his Tuesday game at the San Jose Sharks led to him putting the puck in his own net.
[Fill out your NCAA tournament bracket here | Printable version]
The play happened with under a minute to go in the second period and the Sharks’ fourth line on the ice. Forward Marcus Sorensen played the puck deep into the Sabres end and Buffalo defenseman Cody Franson pushed it to Eichel.

San Jose enforcer Micheal Haley was pressuring on the play and seemed to deflect the pass slightly. Eichel then misplayed the puck and tapped it onto his right skate then past goaltender Robin Lehner to make the game 2-1 in favor of San Jose. The goal was just the fifth of Haley’s career and came in his 120th game. The Sharks ended up winning 4-1 and that goal proved the game-winner.
[Follow Puck Daddy on social media:*Twitter*|*Instagram*|*Facebook*|*Tumblr]
After the goal, Eichel stood in the crease staring aimlessly. He then skated to the bench hunched over before slamming the door several times after he sat down.
“That one hurts a lot,” Eichel said according to the Buffalo News. “It’s obviously not something that’s normal. It stinks. It was the turning point of the game. They get a goal at the end of the second period and all of sudden they’re leading going into the third.”

Added Eichel,*“It’s just a real tough bounce. (Franson) is making a good play to me in front of the net, we’re trying to break the puck out and I end up hitting my back skate and it goes through Lehner’s legs. … I went to pull it from behind me to in front of me and I hit it off my own skate.”
– – – – – – –
Josh Cooper is an editor for Puck Daddy on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @joshuacooper
MORE FROM YAHOO SPORTS