Seattle Seahawks wide receiver made a dumb move Monday night. He committed a pointless taunting penalty after catching an 80-yard touchdown bomb in their 14-9 victory over the St. Louis Rams.
Tate beat his man, Rams corner Janoris Jenkins, caught the ball, and then waved his entire way into the end zone at safety Rodney McLeod. That earned Tate 15 yards for taunting (in a game the Seahawks were severely challenged offensively), and also scorn from most of the Internet afterward.
It also earned him a serious glare from head coach Pete Carroll. Even "Monday Night Football" analyst Jon Gruden, who loves everyone, had to say: "I have no idea what Golden Tate is doing there."
Tate apologized after the game to NFL Network's Michelle Beisner.
"That was immature of me. Hurt my team. I've gotta stay composed. ... Act like I've been there before," Tate said. "I gotta apologize to our special teams. I put them in an awkward situation, but more happy to get up and learn from it and move forward."
As for Jenkins, he might not cover people well, but based on this incident and the shoving and verbal tirade last week with Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith, Jenkins certainly knows how to bring out the crazy in people.

- - - - - - -
Eric Edholm is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @Eric_Edholm