KANSAS CITY, Mo. — As it relates to sport, a dynasty is supposed to be a sequence of champions. A sequence is supposed to be a continuously connected series of occurrences. The championships must connect, and not merely in a figurative sense.
And yet, it's tempting to bend the definition of dynasty so that it might fit what the San Francisco Giants have accomplished three times, though not in a row, since 2010. The Giants beat the Kansas City Royals 3-2 on Wednesday night in Game 7 of the World Series, giving manager Bruce Bochy, general manager Brian Sabean and many others connected to the team a third championship ring. For those men, along with many of Bochy's coaches and Sabean's lieutenants, and eight of the players who span all three championship rosters, winning certainly has become a habit.*
"In today’s game, if it’s not, it’s as close as you’re gonna get," said catcher Buster Posey, a rookie in 2010 and one of nine players with three rings.
But is it a dynasty? The most recent MLB team to win three straight was the New York Yankees from 1998-2000. The Oakland Athletics did the same from 1972-1974. Three in a row; that's a dynasty.
Pitching coach Dave Righetti's presence on the Giants goes spans 15 years, two managers and two different sets of World Series appearances. The Giants also made it in 2002. Now, nobody would say that season could be used to say the Giants are a dynasty, even though most other teams in the majors would envy an organization that's been to the Series four times in 13 years.
Righetti doesn't think the current Giants run equals a dynasty.
“Nah," he said. "Well, I’m not saying it’s not, but I grew up with the Celtics and UCLA. What did UCLA [men's basketball] win under John Wooden?"
They won 10 NCAA titles from 1964-1975, including seven straight at one point. The Celtics won 11 NBA titles over 13 seasons, including eight in a row from 1959-1966.
"If you're a real sports fan, that's what a dynasty is," Righetti said. "I hope this is the start of something big. It’s fun though, and maybe it’s coming."
Perhaps the question of dynasty is a red herring because, like Posey said, the Giants are the closest thing MLB has to one. The Boston Red Sox finished last in their division with a World Series in 2013 sandwiched between. The New York Yankees can't get back to the playoffs. The St. Louis Cardinals put themselves on the verge of winning frequently — but they win it all too infrequently. Bochy appreciates how he has it.
Your browser does not support iframes.
"I'm numb, really, through all of this," said Bochy, one of 10 managers with at least three World Series titles. "You're so blessed to get just one. It just doesn't happen that often."
Not unless you work for the San Francisco Giants.
More MLB coverage at Yahoo Sports:*

- - - - - - -
David Brown is an editor for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter!
Follow @AnswerDave*