The hatred Michigan State coach Tom Izzo already has for Twitter undoubtedly intensified Wednesday as a result of an alcohol-fueled rant by one of his former players.
Garrick Sherman, an ex-Spartans big man who later finished his career at Notre Dame, unleashed a memorable series of tweets about his two years in East Lansing. Among the subjects the 6-foot-10 center touched on included his poor relationship with Izzo, rampant marijuana use among his Michigan State teammates and the time he urinated in a condom to help an ex-Spartans wing pass a drug test.
(And, warning, some of Sherman's language was NSFW)
At the final four izzo told me “not to fucking embarrass myself in front of a crowd bigger than my home town” after I air balled a shot ???
— Garrick Sherman (@gsherm11) May 27, 2015
I pissed in a condom and gave it to Durrell summers to pass a drug test. Suck it #NCAA #stillwenttothefinalfour #suckstobeyou
If that last tweet doesn’t make me twitter famous I give up
Besides, What is the ncaa gonna do?! Give my final four ring to Utah state, the next relevant university who didn’t bend the rules behind us
Izzo might actually hate me more ( if that’s possible) when he loses scholarships cause I drunkenly spilled half his team smoked weed ???
The timing of Sherman's tweet coincided with the end of his professional team's season in the country of Georgia. It was well past 2 a.m. in Georgia when Sherman began tweeting and he acknowledged that he had been drinking for quite a while.*
Yes I know my tweets have been more risqué than usual. Our season ended today so I may or may not have consumed some alcohol.
Over/under 100 followers I lose on this drunken rampage
Why would Sherman reveal things that paint the Michigan State program in a bad light? He insists it was to spotlight the ineffectiveness of the NCAA rather than to embarrass Izzo or the Spartans.*
If nothing else gets accomplished. Let this Twitter rant show the inability of the ncaa to do anything at all of substance
You guys miss the entire point lol every team in NCAA smokes. My point is NCAA is a joke. I still cheer for MSU. I have no resentment at all
— Garrick Sherman (@gsherm11) May 28, 2015
Last time, I don’t dislike msu. I like them. Honestly!! I liked my teammates!!! I just think the NCAA is a joke. But do as you wish Twitter
Such an epic rant wouldn't be complete without a couple more cheap shots, and Sherman definitely did not disappoint.
First target: Kentucky

Honestly,though if the ncaa is concerned about my helping out a teammate through being sober,Kentucky players salary should be more concern
Next up: Doug Gottlieb, whom Sherman had feuded with previously over a crack the CBS analyst made about his beard.
Where’s my boy Gottlieb? I wanna go at his bitch ass one more time lol
Sherman was a role player at Michigan State who blossomed into a quality starter his final season at Notre Dame. He averaged 13.5 points and a team-best 7.3 rebounds for an Irish team that collapsed in the second half of the season after losing star Jerian Grant.
So Sherman had a few nice moments as a college player. None are quite as memorable, however, as Wednesday's Twitter rant.
- - - - - - -
Jeff Eisenberg is the editor of The Dagger on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @JeffEisenberg