Cincinnati Bengals defensive tackle Devon Still accepted the Jimmy V. Perseverance Award on behalf of his 5-year-old daughter, Leah, on Wednesday night at the 2015 ESPY Awards. LeBron James presented the award and Still thanked the Cleveland Cavaliers star for being another man who could make his daughter smile through her battle with cancer.
Leah was diagnosed with cancer last year, and was unable to attend the awards ceremony. However, her father’s speech concluded with a message from Leah.
“Sorry I couldn’t be there everybody, but thank you for supporting me while I beat out cancer," said Leah. "Hey LeBron, hey daddy."
The admiration for her father was clear from the shout-out in the video, a man who has battled endless adversity to see his daughter healthy.
“You know, on TV I look like a hero. I look like I’m saving the day, but honestly y’all are the real heroes,” Still said.
Still referenced how those battling and never giving up during their fight with cancer helped him during his individual battle as a father.
During Leah’s treatments, Still said he would go to the hospital chapel and cry and ask God why he couldn’t battle cancer instead of his daughter.

Still's emotional speech not only brought the audience into his family’s battle, but also was used as a platform for others battling cancer.
“I am here today to let y’all know, as long as I have this platform I’m going to continue to fight for y’all,” Still said.