Your browser does not support iframes.
Phones multitask these days, so it's common for reporters to use a phone app to record press conferences. What a modern convenience! The danger, of course, is that a call might come at an inopportune time — which is what happened during a Derek Jeter press conference Sunday afternoon.
The New York Yankees honored Jeter at Yankee Stadium for his final season and, afterward, he sat on the dais in a packed room and answered questions about Derek Jeter Day in New York City. The Yankees lost to the Kansas City Royals 2-0, and Jeter went 1 for 3 with a walk. A king's worth of dignitaries and guests came by to pay their respects to The Captain — Cal Ripken, Michael Jordan, seemingly every living Yankee — and, hang on a second.
"Someone's phone's ringing. 'Walt Rheinheimer,' " Jeter deadpanned, holding a phone with the shiniest, sparkliest silver case ever.
"You want me to get it?"
Columnist Tara Sullivan of The Record recognized the phone — the case was a Christmas gift from her 9-year-old daughter. And the name Jeter read, Walt Rheinheimer Rheinheimer*— was that of her husband. Sullivan later said she was absolutely mortified at that moment. Jeter took the call and put his face to the receiver.
"Walt, she's gonna have to call you back, buddy," Jeter said before hanging up.
The room erupted with laughter, though it would be a while before Sullivan found it funny.
@MarlyRiveraESPN You captured my embarrassment perfectly. FYI, it was my husband who called.
— tara sullivan (@Record_Tara) September 7, 2014
So, what did*husband Walt Rheinheimer*think of Jeter taking his call? Unfortunately, he didn't realize who had answered until Sullivan called him back a half-hour later.
"I actually couldn't hear anything," Rheinheimer said in a phone interview with Big League Stew. "I think he actually pressed the wrong button because I thought my wife had hung up on me.
"I knew where she was, I thought she still might have been working. I figured it was her and that she'd call back when she could. I actually wish I could have talked to him; it would have been pretty funny."
Rheinheimer could have talked with Jeter about what a big Mets fan he is.
"Haha, yeah, I am," Rheinheimer admitted. "But I'm a Derek Jeter fan, too. How can you not be?"
Having heard about the moment from his wife and seeing the video of his call to Jeter, Rheinheimer said he appreciated how it all happened.
"He handled it perfectly, really," Rheinheimer said. "I was surprised he was so nonchalant. But then, that's Jeter."
Rheinheimer, who was attending a party when Jeter answered the phone, said he was calling to find out if his wife was coming with a present for the guest of honor. (Always a tough spot for the husband.) She was on her way. And she brought the gift, so he was off the hook. And they had a funny story to help them remember Jeter's final season in the majors.
"I don't think my wife thought it was funny at first," Rheinheimer said. "But she's starting to see the humor in it."

Big BLS H/N: MLB Cut4
More MLB coverage at Yahoo Sports:*

- - - - - - -
David Brown is an editor for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter!
Follow @AnswerDave*