Colts head coach Chuck Pagano is in the midst of another playoff run, but he more than most understands the importance of football relative to real life.
Pagano missed most of the 2012 season as he recovered from acute promyelocytic leukemia. So he's acutely aware of the pain a family can go through when one of their members faces a devastating illness. This week, Pagano reached out to Alex Kormann, a 17-year-old Colts fan from New Jersey, who'd recently lost his father to cancer.

Russ Kormann, a fan of the Colts dating back to their Baltimore days, died of complications from renal cancer on Nov. 24. Alex's cousin reached out to the Colts the next day. Soon afterward, the Colts sent Kormann a collection of gear, but it was Pagano's personal letter that really mattered. "I teared up," Kormann told USA Today on Sunday. "I was stunned he'd take the time to respond."
"I understand that you and I have something in common," Pagano's letter read, "a commitment to living in a vision rather than circumstance. Throughout my personal journey with cancer, I have been fortunate to receive many words of encouragement from great people like you. Now, it's my turn to return the favor.
"I know that your family has faced some challenging times in the loss of your father, Russ, and it has not been the easiest to push through. Tough days are inevitable in any battle that attempts to challenge our family and spirit. Know that it is in these extremely difficult times that your strength is revealed in greater ways than you will ever imagine.
"I know that you are loyal Colts fans, so I am hoping that your family will accept the enclosed autographed photo as a small token of appreciation for your great efforts. Again, thank you for your support. I pray for your family and that you will continue to focus on the vision you have for your lives together, know that the entire Indianapolis Colts family is cheering you on to live out that vision."
If you're looking for a team to cheer on during the NFL playoffs, Pagano's Colts might be a good bet.

____
Jay Busbee is a writer for Yahoo Sports. Contact him at [email protected] or find him on Twitter.
Follow @jaybusbee
And keep up with Jay over on Facebook, too.