Is Chris Parmelee just a Quad-A player, or is he another lame-blooming hitter that’s emerged under the wing of Buck Showalter? Okay, it’s likely the former, but let’s take a look anyway.*
Parmelee’s first two games with the Orioles have been a smash. He clocked a couple of homers in Tuesday’s beatdown of Philadelphia, then knocked a third rocket*in Wednesday’s victory. He’s 5-for-9 since his recall. Line drives all over the place.*
Parmelee was raking in Triple-A, not unusual for a player with MLB experience that’s old, at 27, for the level. Nonetheless, they don’t hand out .312/.381/.444 slash lines at the airport. Parmelee was controlling at-bats, getting on base plenty, knocking the occasional homer (six in 61 games). He also stole three bases.*
The prospect hounds had a tepid interest in Parmelee, a zillion years ago - he was a first round pick in the 2006 draft (out of high school), and showed up on some 2007 rank lists. The Twins gave him playing time now and again over the last four years, to the tune of a .252/.321/.404 slash and 27 homers in 821 at-bats. Those aren’t exciting numbers, but maybe something could click in the age-27 season. It’s a shame Parmelee doesn’t show any platoon bias; that would actually make him more playable as a streamer and occasional DFS option.*
I added a few shares of Parmelee this week, here and there. He qualifies at first base and the outfield, always a nifty selling point. The Orioles have been ordinary in right-field production*this year, similar in left field. Parmelee will probably get a chance to show what he can do. It's interesting to note he batted fifth in his debut, then moved to third Wednesday. Even when Adam Jones returns, Parmelee might keep a good spot for a while.*
Plausible upside is what we're looking for. When I see it, I make moves. It's really as simple as that.*

I know it’s easy to dismiss this sort of guy, and I’m not saying you should flush any significant resource to land Parmelee. But if you’re looking for an upside spin at the back of your roster, sure, I’ll sign off. Sometimes Steve Pearce happens. Sometimes Jimmy Paredes happens. Showalter, more than some managers, seems willing to run with a hot hand and adjust the batting order with that in mind.*
And if you click on this sort of player, a low-pedigree story out of nowhere, it’s twice as sweet as the production you get from a star. Trust me.*
Have a piece of celebration pie, and we'll add more bullets shortly.*