Law enforcement officials in Missouri found the body of former Kansas running back Brandon Bourbon on Friday. He was 24 years old.
Bourbon, a native of Potosi, Missouri, was reported missing on April 2nd. The search continued until Friday morning, when his body was found according to the Maries County Sheriff's office. Maries County is approximately 80 miles west of Potosi and the ping data from his cell phone last registered from the county on April 3.
According to the sheriff's office, Bourbon committed suicide.
"Our hearts are broken to hear the news of the passing of Brandon Bourbon," Kansas coach David Beaty said in a statement. "Brandon was a wonderful teammate and friend. He was a tireless worker both on the field and in the classroom and was a constant source of inspiration within our program. The entire Jayhawk family cared very deeply for him and he will always be in our hearts. Our thoughts and prayers are with Brandon's family and friends."
Bourbon was a member of the Jayhawks' football team from 2010-2014. He transferred to Division II Washburn, located in Topeka, Kansas, for the 2015 season.
Just spoke to WU coach Craig Schurig, who is shocked & saddened by the death of Brandon Bourbon. "He was just a joy to be around and coach"
— Rick Peterson Jr. (@RickiePeterson) April 9, 2016
His friend and former teammate Ben Heeney, now a linebacker with the Oakland Raiders, had been leading the social media charge to help find Bourbon.
[Check out Dr. Saturday on Tumblr for entertaining things you won’t see on the blog]
Rest in peace to my best friend, my brother, my beard bro. U affected so many lives Brandon. I love u more than you know. @BeastmodeBourb
— Ben Heeney (@henbeeney) April 9, 2016
Brandon Bourbon was a great kid to be around. Always a warm smile and a bright young man. Heart goes out to Bourbon family

— JayhawkSlant (@JayhawkSlant) April 9, 2016
Bourbon was Washburn's leading rusher in 2015 with 937 yards.
[Visit Dr. Saturday on Facebook for stories you might have missed and chat with the writers]
- - - - - - -
Nick Bromberg is the assistant editor of Dr. Saturday on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter!
Follow @NickBromberg