Who said the Buffalo Bills don't have a quarterback?
OK, yes, it's preseason — and we're not going to draw too much from one half of preseason football. But Matt Cassel, who started for the Bills, and Tyrod Taylor, who replaced Cassel later in the first half against the Carolina Panthers, both looked (gasp!) pretty darned good.
In two drives, Cassel was efficient — and had good protection — in completing 7-of-8 passes for 45 yards, and the one incompletion was a clear drop by receiver Chris Hogan.
[Yahoo Sports Fantasy Football: Sign up and join a league today!]
Then Taylor came in and performed well before halftime, also displaying accuracy and touch. He completed 5-of-8 passes for 49 yards and led two touchdown drives — one eight plays long, and one 13.
"They went [well]," Taylor said, according to*halftime quotes that were distributed by the Bills. "We were able to get the ball down the field. Hit some big third downs. On the first one, we were able to capitalize at the end. That is always good when you can finish drives with touchdowns instead of three points."
Taylor also rushed six times for 47 yards, including a 20-yard scamper to put the Bills in the red zone.
"It was good," Taylor said. "I mean, they were not designed runs. It was more so the run option, that run-pass option. The defense gave me a couple lanes to go out there and makes some plays and that is what I did."
Two of Taylor's incompletions were drops, too, and it wasn't until Taylor's eighth pass that he misfired badly.*
That Tyrod Taylor overthrow was the first uncatchable pass of the night for the Bills' QBs. 16th pass of game.

— Mike Rodak (@mikerodak) August 15, 2015
This clearly is nice news for the Bills, especially coming against a quality first-team defense such as the Panthers, but it's only a start.
Not to be outdone, EJ Manuel — after a slow start — dialed up the best ball of the night for the Bills: a pretty 51-yard TD pass to Deonte Thompson that should allow Manuel to continue to*have something to say about this whole QB derby.
It's early, and relatively meaningless, but after a summer of quarterback discontent, there's a bit of good quarterback news coming out of Buffalo.
- - - - - - -
Eric Edholm is a writer for Shutdown Corner on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Eric_Edholm