LAS VEGAS – Anthony Johnson took one step closer to avenging his loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier earlier this year with a vicious second-round knockout of Jimi Manuwa at Saturday’s UFC 191.
The first round was not indicative of the violent end, as many fans actually booed the conclusion of the opening frame.
Understandable, given the fact that the first round of Johnson vs. Manuwa was largely contested in the clinch and on the ground.
But all that changed in the second – 28 seconds in, to be exact – when Johnson unleashed a hellish overhand right hook that was setup off a body kick. The punch landed with precision to the jaw of Manuwa and the Englishman went crashing to the Octagon mat.
Johnson beat his chest, yelled at the crowd, and raised his hands to the ceiling as the crowd inside the MGM Grand roared with approval.
“Yeah, that’s just muscle memory, we don’t really train that,” Johnson said post-fight about the devastating blow. “I guess it’s in my DNA, I don’t know.”
Johnson battled plenty of adversity outside of the cage heading into his scrap with Manuwa on Saturday. First, there was the issue of an errant yoga mat at his local gym that resulted in Rumble having a shouting match with a female gym member (not exactly a good look for someone who has prior domestic violence issues). And even more recently was the apparent questions surrounding Johnson’s practices at his kennel where he breeds pitbulls, Rumbletime Kennels.
Apparently the controversies weren’t enough to derail Johnson’s mental focus, as he went out and put another highlight-reel knockout to his résumé.
Johnson addressed his critics – albeit vaguely – after the win.

“This fight was dedicated to all the people that supported to me through thick and thin. And everyone who didn’t, 'That one is for you too.' ”
The win makes Johnson 4-1 since his return to the UFC in April 2014. With his only loss coming at the hands of the aforementioned champ, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Johnson may be setting his sights on UFC gold sooner rather than later.
- - - - - - -
Ryan McKinnell is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports Cagewriter blog. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter!