Adam Jones of the Baltimore Orioles and David Ortiz of the Boston Red Sox extended their AL East rivalry to the gridiron on Saturday. Not literally, of course, though that would definitely be a story in its own regard, but rather in the form of friendly bet which centered around the Baltimore Ravens-New England Patriots playoff game.
It shouldn't be difficult to figure out who was rooting for whom. As is often the case in cities with multiple professional sports franchises, both men stuck by and supported the teams they share fans and real estate with, which means Jones was all-in on the Ravens, while Ortiz backed the Patriots.
As for the bet itself, it all started out just like any sports bet among friends.*
Whats up @SimplyAJ10...gettin ready for the end of your @Ravens season bro??? #PatriotsNation
— David Ortiz (@davidortiz) January 10, 2015
But of course, that seemingly innocent trash escalated to put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is trash talk. About an hour before kickoff at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Jones laid down the challenge and the conditions, which Ortiz readily accepted.
"In light of today's @Ravens/@Patriots game, I challenge @davidortiz. Winner gives $5k to the losers charity. #GameOn"
— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) January 10, 2015
If the Patriots win, I'll wear a Tom Brady jersey, if RAVENS win Big Papi wears a Suggs jersey #StayHungry #GameOn
— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) January 10, 2015
Can't wait to see my boy @SimplyAJ10 in a brady jersey and have him make a donation to the @DavidOrtizFund when the @Patriots win!!! #GameOn
— David Ortiz (@davidortiz) January 10, 2015
Game on indeed, and boy was this one a barnburner.
The Patriots battled back from 14 points down on two different occasions. The second time they evened the score on a perfectly executed trick play that saw wide receiver Julian Edelman —*who actually played quarter back at Kent State University —*fire the ball down field to a wide open Danny Amendola for a 51-yard touchdown. A throw so impressive, Ortiz actually celebrated it by paying a compliment to Jones' excellent throwing arm.
who knew my boy edelman has an arm like @SimplyAJ10!!!
— David Ortiz (@davidortiz) January 11, 2015
Even in the heat of battle, there's always time for respect.
In the end, the top-seeded Patriots escaped with their playoffs lives, winning 35-31 on a more conventional Tom Brady touchdown pass to Brandon LaFell. New England advances to play either the Indianapolis Colts or Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship game next Sunday. But before we get there, Jones will be making a $5,000 donation to the David Ortiz Children's Fund and hopefully sporting that No. 12 Brady jersey for all the world to see.
Great game by both squads @Ravens @Patriots. I'm a man of my word so @davidortiz let's get to work. #StayHungry
— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) January 11, 2015
Thats what im talking about @Patriots !!! Time to get that Brady jersey for my boy @SimplyAJ10

— David Ortiz (@davidortiz) January 11, 2015
Congratulations to Ortiz on the Patriots victory. More importantly, congratulations to both for being good sports and for turning their "feud" into something very positive and productive for a worthy charity. Well played, and excellent use of social media.
BLS H/N: For The Win
More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -
Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at [email protected] or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813