haven't been smoking? My fiance quit smoking shortly after we started dating. She had one relapse, that I know of, about 6 months later. I happened to catch her smoking at that time, but she swears that is the absolute only time she has since quitting about 10 months ago.

My problem is that occasionally, I still think I can smell cigarette smell on her breath. It's not the breath coming out of her mouth that I smell, it's only when she exhales through her nose, that I can smell it. I have never smelled it anywhere else, not on her clothes, in her hair, or on her hands. I have never found any other evidence that it is still going on. No cigarettes anywhere etc, and I have looked pretty hard.

Is it possible for something to give the illusion of a smoking smell on her breath that is exhaled through her nose? She very adamantly denies smoking at all, when I ask her about it, and I have no reason to not believe her. She gets quite upset and tells me she working her butt off to not smoke, and I still accuse her of it.

I smell it very randomly, usually when we are laying in bed together. Sometimes it's quite strong and noticeable, and lasts for a day or two. Other times, it's just a hint of the smell, and doesn't last long at all.

It's not the fact that she might be smoking that I have a huge problem with. While I hate the idea of her smoking, the bigger issue is whether or not she is being truthful with me.

The only thing I can think of, is that it might be something she eats occasionally, and I am misinterpreting what I smell, or is it remotely possible, that is could be deposits of crap left in her lungs from her smoking days, that are being released and gotten rid of as her lungs heal themselves?

I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help.