[IMG]http://simplefeed.consumerreports.org/rsrc/i/1/_/qa_life_without_gluten__705381449/4.gif?f=3dcb3160-01dc-11dc-32a2-0019bbc55f7f&s=AewyNia7NTvDvhaDemju5DEsbnVsbCwwLDA *[/IMG] Q&A: Life without gluten?
I have celiac disease and can't eat gluten, the protein in wheat and other grains. Is there medicine that will let me eat wheat again? ?L.S.S., New York City
Unfortunately, no. You'll need to continue avoiding barley, bulgur, farina, kamut, rye, spelt, and wheat; oats, which may be contaminated by gluten from other grains during processing; and gluten-containing additives such as malt extract, dextrin, and soy sauce. Celiac disease, a hybrid of a food allergy and an intolerance, can cause gastrointestinal symptoms after eating foods that contain gluten, though some people aren't diagnosed until they develop problems due to nutrient deficiencies. The good news is that more and more products are now made, and labeled, gluten-free.
Subscribe now!

Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. Update your feed preferences