Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Taron R

HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray?

I was wondering if there was a real difference between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in quality and/or sound. What do you prefer? Have you chosen a side? Or are you waiting for a more dominant format? Paramount and Dreamworks the two top movie studios are supporting HD-DVD only while other studios are going strictly blu-ray. I need to know which one to buy but want to buy only one. Not both.

honorebel
    This question interested me because I was one of the many who made the mistake of purchasing a HD-DVD player too early and realized that now my favorite rental stores only support Blu-Ray. I asked myself why and this is what i found.

The real difference is capacity. As of now Blu-Ray is at a 25gig limit for single layer discs, 50 gig limit on dual layer. As oppose to HD-DVD where they are at only 15gig/30gig. Blu-Ray has a theoretical limit of 200gig, HD-DVD only has 60gig. Based on this alone the amount of shear volume of data that cold be stored on Blu-Ray will allow it to have clearer picture, sharper contrast and higher definition audio. Blu-Ray is now in ROM and RW formats where HD-DVD is only in ROM. The biggest shift in popularity was the turn of Warner Bros. from HD-DVD to Blu-Ray and many rental stores now only support Blu-Ray. If you look at the list of supporting companies Blu-Ray is the clear winner by up to 20 major companies. It has become very obvious Blu-Ray is going to be the future and it waiting for camera and TV technologies to catch up to its theoretical potential. If you are looking for a long term investment which it looks like you are, you cant go wrong with a Blu-Ray player.