Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

What can I do to get my 95 honda civic to pass emissions. Its failing on the CO...

...content. Carbon monoxide? I have taken the car to get the emissions test done. Have failed three times. Replace oxygen sensor, air filter, plug wires, ect. Every test the co content has gotten better but I am still not passing only by a narrow margin now. But unfortunately I am out of ideas!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ummm...the only way I can think of, short of actually getting it fixed, is to clear the code before you go in for your inspection.

Best,

Hahaha, and THAT'S why you should read the whole question before posting. Lmao!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well basically it depends on the condition of your motor, if it has alot of miles on it then it might need a rebuild to pass emissions, unless you have the catatlytic converter off then that could make a diff .2.Hope this helps

Downloads
    Uploads
    Clearing The Code Will Not Effect The Engine Performance. There Are Several Things That Cause High Co Reading Such As Engine Valves Adjustment Are Too Tight, Leaking Fuel Injectors,high Fuel Pressure, And Worn Out Catalytic Converter. If You Co Reading Is Below 2 Percent, The Most Common Problem On Civic Is A Bad Catalytic Converter. Do Not Use After Market Converter. They Don"t Last Very Long And Most Of Them Are Not The Right Size

Downloads
    Uploads
    The code has nothing to do with you passing or failing as the first poster mentioned. That vehicle uses a tailpipe test. I would stop throwing money at it hoping for a cheap fix and take it to a shop that specializes in emission repair. You will have to pay the diag fee but you will come out cheaper in the long run by having a professional take a look at it and properly check it out using the proper equipment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    CO is produced by incomplete combustion -- the air/fuel charge is ignited but isn't burning properly or entirely. Usually due to a problem in the fuel system making the engine run to rich.

A dirty air filter can cause this. a bad fuel regulator can do it, bad/cracked vacuum hose, to high fuel pressure (leading towards bad pressure regulator), timing could be off as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    get a new catalytic converter

Downloads
    Uploads
    Every kind of guess but no answers. If any of these guesses was correct you would have other bad readings along with the CO. To cure a high CO you need to check your secondary air injection. This is supplied by the so called "smog pump". You may have a defective pump, slipping belt or perhaps a leak. It also controls HC so it is probably a minor air leak.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spend the money or trade it in, if anybody will take it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok if you are barely failing here is my advice. Try it, it works.
    1. Change the oil and filter, put in a good full synthetic oil.
    2. Change the PCV valve if not done already.
    3. Run the car until it is almost out of fuel.
    4. Put in 5 gallons or less of premium gas.
    5. Put in 3-4 containers of rubbing alcohol in the tank (this sounds weird but what you are doing is increasing the octane of the fuel with alcohol)
    6. Make sure you drive the car for at least 5-10 miles to get the new fuel mixed in
    7. Make sure the car is fully warm when it is tested. Leave it running if you have too.