Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Greg

Will a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player work on my TV?

I have a Mitisubishi 65908, built in 2001 and it doesn't have HDMI or DVI input. It only has a component HD input that will recognise 480p and 1080i. It doesn't do 720p. Will I see much difference with the Blu-ray or HD-DVD if it is input through my component input?

zienzman
    If it doesn't do 720 or 1080p, I recommend just upscaling. Go with an entry level HD DVD player as toshiba has the best tested upscalers. Unless you are viewing at 720 or 1080, the HD material will not be significantly better than upconverted material and will allow you to just continue using your DVD's. This would be your best bet. Not to mention, you would get 7 free HD DVD's to test out on your new system and see if indeed you are able to see a difference. It should only cost you around 100-130$ as opposed to bluray which would cost you 300-400 and that would be for an incomplete format player.

Even on my 1080p I can get by with upscaling movies that aren't released on HD DVD. I personally won't be buying into bluray until the prices are on par with HD DVD and the features catch up as well. Contrary to popular reports, HD DVD is not a dying format, and is doing quite well in the current market because it is the same picture and resolution as bluray at less than half the cost. A no brainer.

jpaone1
    Yes it will work but the tv you have i would not recommend a blu ray because blu ray and HD DVD is made for LCD and plasma that is where you will see a differ for $400 i would keep the money how ever blu ray and hd dvd is the identical picture quality. We do not no who will win the war but the picture is the same sony is sony and they are expensive because of the name but sales man don't know who will win and people will say blu ray is better but reality it is the same pic and if you need to buy one i recommend Toshiba HD-A3 model at best buy has it for $149.99 and it comes with 2 movies in box and 5 through mail. toshiba A30, and A35 is more expensive but also there are stuff on the player that your tv don't have so you will waste your money if you get an A30 or A35 you will be happy with A3

Jose Luzbet
    Yes it will work, go with BR if you can as HDDVD days are numbered.

aplianceboy
    yes it will work,you will not recieve full bennifits.(compression) use your component jacks, red,blue,green.. and l/r for your audio... save up for a full 1080p tv