'76 Harley FXE question?

MadJack

May 23, 2008
It will be worth your while to get a maintenance manual for this bike. Clymer sells a manual for this bike for $22.72 + shipping. See the link below.

It will have troubleshooting and repair information for your problem.

This manual will have detailed step by step instructions to correctly do almost any maintenance tasks on your bike. This manual will pay for itself the first time you use it. It will be the best thing you will buy for your bike.

As for your specific problem. I don't know much about this particular engine. But my guess if that there is an internal check valve in the oiling system that is leaking and needs service. But with a service manual, you will have access to proper information instead of a best guess from a stranger over the Internet. You won't need to figure out if this best guess is accurate or just a bunch of B.S.

When this bike sits for several days it will puke out 8-10 oz. of oil on start up. Doesn't seem to do it if I start it every day. I can't find where it comes from, but it seems to be coming from the primary side. Any ideas?

You have an oil pump problem.It's possible the check ball in the oil pump has a piece of crud under it or the check ball seat is bad.It also could be a weak spring.Harley's are a dry sump system.When one of those parts goes bad it lets the crankcase fill up with oil.Then when you start the engine it pumps the oil from the crankcase out the breather and onto the ground.You could remove the spring and check ball and inspect the ball and seat.If they look ok try a new spring.Do not try stretching the old spring.

Back