Can someone help me Im having trouble with my new Fox fork on my bike?

fonsiboy

Feb 22, 2009
Ok So I have a Diamondback xsl. It came with a rockshox j2 fork. Nice fork, but I always wanted a fox. I installed my fork with the help of my dad and I would say we did a pretty good job. We used the same headset because the tube was the same size as my rockshox. However, the tube was a little longer so I cut it to be(or try to be) like my rockshox in length. My dad actually did the cutting and it came out slightly crooked. My dad said it shouldnt matter. I had my doubts but hes a stubborn guy. We put everything back together and it "looked" ok but it had play in the headset. I tried lots and lots of times to tighten it but it didnt work. Later on I took it to a bike shop and they tightened it for me and certainly did a better job than me. It still had play though! =/ and its more apparent in the trail. It really limits the fun! what should I do?

should I:

1. Cut that crooked part to be straight
2. get a new headset
3. or take it to a bike shop? Im just scared of them charging me a crap load!
what can I do?????? please help!!!!!

sounds to me like you should leave your Damn bike alone and ride it more than work on it.....back again for question #2...think about that! First off you never cut a steerer tube crooked and that is why you use this tool to cut it: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=20410&subcategory_ID=4209 or the preferred Park tool and then you also never change a fork unless you have one of these: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17620&subcategory_ID=4209 or the preferred Park tool, and if your crown race was bent or not included on the new fork then you both are fired! you need a new one on the new fork and that is the problem likely. I have changed over many a fork and it isn't hard and have made noises actually go away. There is a chance that you need a new headset too as most good forks come with a new headset these days. Now here is the real kicker, what in the hell are you putting a Fox anything on this bike for??? I am sure others will agree with me, yes , it is your $ to do with as you please but this frame does NOT rate a FOX fork at all, sorry! Now one other possibility is that you need a 2mm headset spacer to go in there somewhere and your spacers are not correctly sized for the new length of your steerer tube cut which may not be correct either? If you would have let the bike shop do this in the first place it would not have cost you a lot to begin with anyway....think about that too.

Back