Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Charged with a misdemeanor, Is there any hope for my future?

I was charged with a misdemeanor of retail theft for trying to take a vest from Macy’s valued at 40 dollars in Florida where I am a full time college student. It was and is the worst thing I have done and I feel horrible. Recently, I have though about going to law school or becoming a teacher. I know it sounds bad considering what I did, but really I am not a bad person, I just made a bad choice. I am 21 and have never been in trouble before. My lawyer says I can probably get a deferred prosecution, and then expunge my record. Even after this, Will my one mistake haunt me forever? I know I have to disclose this information to the bar, but do I have to tell future schools/employees? Can I ever become a teacher? I feel so helpless right now, and I feel like I have ruined my life. My family is telling me it should be okay if the record is expunged, but I find my self having anxiety attacks everyday. Will I ever overcome this? I have never gotten in trouble before and I really am a good person. I have excellent grades and AA with highest honors. I now go to a 4 year university and am in the process of earning my bachelors. I also have a lot of extra curricular, and I have even worked for a law firm for several years. I have heard about private companies getting information on records, even the ones that are expunged. Should I worry about this? I am falling to pieces right now and feel like my life that I have worked so hard at up till now, is pointless because of one horrible mistake I made…Sorry for writing so much, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Listen my friend the first thing you have to remember is that we all make mistakes and part of the price we pay for them is the anxiety and worry that we suffer after wards . The point is, you are worried because you ARE A GOOD PERSON. If you weren't then you wouldn't care less.
    You WILL get over it. Time is indeed a great healer. Get through this bad time and all will be well. And looking on the brighter side...you have learnt a lesson. A lesson you will be able to pass on to others. One last thing...think of all the people in history who have made bad mistakes and gone on to do wonderful things.
    Don't worry-be happy

Downloads
    Uploads
    calm the hell down son. youve been charged with a damn misdemeanor! its not gonna ruin your life. what you need to worry about is correcting why you went and stole something that cost $40 in the first place.

other than that gigantic wall of text not separated into paragraphs, everything you write shows that youre pretty intelligent. think about it rationally for 5 minutes here.

as a dumb kid you made a mistake that you regret making. who in the world will fault you for that? its not gonna ruin your life.

if you have to tell future schools or employers about it then the most important thing is that youre HONEST about it. integrity is EVERYTHING. most especially if youre interested in anything having to do with criminal justice or teaching.

would YOU think somebody was a terrible criminal if they told you the story that you just told us? probably not. calm down some.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't get so worked up over it. I got a disorderly conduct charge when I was in college and since then have successfully worked for the USDA and got into nursing school. Both of which have extensive background checks. Just be honest about it. If it is expunged from your record ask your lawyer what you should do about answering questions on background checks and such. I too am a good person who made a bad choice. You will prevail! Just keep your nose clean.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless it's a criminal charge it can't be expunged.

At $40, I'm betting it's just a class three misdemeanor. That's the least serious kind there is.

This mistake isn't going to haunt you forever, most applications don't even ask about class three misdemeanors, only first degree misdemeanors and felonies.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless it's a criminal charge it can't be expunged.

At $40, I'm betting it's just a class three misdemeanor. That's the least serious kind there is.

This mistake isn't going to haunt you forever, most applications don't even ask about class three misdemeanors, only first degree misdemeanors and felonies.