Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

1 Cable for satellite and freeview terrestrial channels?

Hi

I have 1 co-axial cable running from my satellite dish which enters a splitter on the roof,the other connection on the splitter is connected to the freeview terrestrial aerial.
    The problem is ,I am not receiving all the review channel that I should be.
    Could the problem be down to the cable or is it more likely that the aerial is not picking up all the bands?
    Great answer "The Tank "

The cable I have installed at the moment is satellite grade and am picking up both the satellite channels and some freeveiw channels through the 1 cable,that's with a splitter at both ends.
    I will run another cable from the UHF aerial.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    NO. It's because you won't get freeview updates from satellite. They only come via the terrestial service.

So, if you have a terrestial aerial you will need to hook up the set to that and everything will update

Downloads
    Uploads
    The classic cause of not receiving all Freeview channels is a poor quality signal at the receiver.
    Booster amplifiers are not a good cure for this in most cases, so don't waste your time and money on one.
    The only lasting solution for this is a good aerial (at least 24 element) and correct UHF double-screened downlead.

Freeview terrestrial and satellite are completely incompatible systems. You cannot use a single cable to carry signals from a satellite dish and a UHF aerial.

The satellite system converts the signal from the satellite into an encoded 9GHz band wave at the LNB in the dish. This is also encrypted into a complex digital signal that the satellite box has to decode.

Because of the frequency band used the downlead is a very special co-ax that is purposefully designed for it.
    Ordinary terrestrial co-ax (even the high quality stuff designed for Freeview) does not have the electrical characteristics suitable for satellite use. The signal losses will be very high.

The receivers for each system are completely different too. If you are not using a satellite receiver and are just plugged into a Freeview receiver then you will still have trouble. This is because the satellite arm of your cables is acting as a "tuned stub" to the co-ax downlead. In electrical terms it means that the signal from the aerial is being affected by the 'load' of the stub. Some will be attenuated and some signal will be reflected back to the spliiter.
    Your Freeview receiver will not be receiving a good quality strong signal.

Basically, this all means that you have to have separate cables from your dish and UHF aerial to the Freeview box and Satellite box.
    They cannot be mixed in any way shape or form and they must be the correct type of co-ax for each job - or your reception will suffer, which it is.