[IMG]http://simplefeed.consumerreports.org/rsrc/i/1/_/obama_claims_major_milestone_with_stimulus_bill__5 74483208/4.gif?f=3dcb3160-01dc-11dc-32a2-0019bbc55f7f&s=AewyNia7NTvDvhaDemju5DEsbnVsbCwwLDA *[/IMG] Obama claims "major milestone" with stimulus bill, Republicans say it won't work
The morning after Democrats in the House and Senate pushed through a final version of the $787 billion economic stimulus bill, President Barack Obama used his weekly address to claim a victory and to look toward the future. Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, who gave the Republican address, said the recovery plan is too expensive and won't successfully revive the American economy.

"This is a major milestone on our road to recovery, and I want to thank the members of Congress who came together in common purpose to make it happen," the president said, without mentioning that no House Republicans and only three Republican senators voted with the majority. "Because they did, I will sign this legislation into law shortly, and we?ll begin making the immediate investments necessary to put people back to work doing the work America needs done."

Murkowski said the plan would not work because it was not "timely, targeted, and temporary," using the words of Larry Summers--the president's top economist--to make her point.

"It's not timely because less than half the discretionary spending in this bill will reach its intended target within the next two years," Murkowski said. "It's not targeted because much of the money isn't even directed where it's needed most. ... Finally, the bill isn't temporary because it calls for a permanent expansion of government that could add hundreds of billions of dollars to the federal budget every year."

The Republican senator also noted that the government would be throwing around a lot of tax payer money.

"Taxpayers need to know what Washington is doing with their money," she said. "And as Republicans continue to pursue policies that strengthen our economy and create jobs, we'll insist that taxpayers aren't only protected -- but also well informed."

The president addressed that point in his own message, saying the White House would "spend these precious dollars with unprecedented accountability, responsibility, and transparency."

"Once the plan is put into action, a new website--Recovery.gov--will allow any American to watch where the money goes and weigh in with comments and questions, and I encourage every American to do so," Obama said. "Ultimately, this is your money, and you deserve to know where it?s going and how it?s spent."
Subscribe now!
Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org for expert Ratings, buying advice and reliability on hundreds of products. Update your feed preferences