Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help- cant connect to internet?

My little internet icon has an alert sign, saying the internet connection is limited or has no connectivity. I click repair but it says it cant renew my ip address.
    Also on msn, I clicked the troubleshoot and it said my default gateway was offline.

I will choose a best answer, i would really like a quickstep-by-step list on how to fix it. If you need extra information, just ask. (:

Unregistered
    Hello!

Usually a yellow triangle on your wifi notification bar indicates that your computer is seeing wifi connections but unable to connect to them. This could be caused by:

* a conflict where your computer is trying to use a connection that is in use by another machine (i.p. conflict)
    * there could be something blocking your outward connection such as your anti virus software or another piece of software
    * your router may need to be reset
    * your internet connection/ password information may be incorrect in the settings on your laptop
    * you may viruses or malware causing issues

--> If you have many people using the same connection, Try right clicking on the icon and selecting "repair". This should tell the laptop to automatically reset the IP address. Check this IP change using Ip-details.com Also try shutting the computer off and allowing it to restart. This will usually resolve the issue if the IP address is bad or if there is a conflict with another machine. There also might be an issue where your wireless software is conflicting with the "generic" drivers for connecting to the internet.

--> Check your internet browser settings to see if your computer is trying to connect through a "proxy" or if there is some kind of setting that is causing your computer to not connect. Try a different browser than the one you usually use (if you have one.)

--> You might also try power cycling your router. You can find instructions on power cycling your router here: http://www.geeksquad.com/intelligence/blog/diy-wireless-network-troubleshooting-101/. Be sure to warn others on your network that you plan to power cycle the router becuase when your router is resetting, nobody will have access for about 2-3 minutes.

--> You could be experiencing problems because somehow your computer's wireless network password is not available. You might need to reenter your wireless network name and password. Usually you can find this password by looking on the underside of your router.

If the problem persists, you can always try to call your internet service provider. They can walk you through troubleshooting your connection issue. They can test your router remotely to make sure that it is not a problem with the remote hardware. They also may be able to help you with the steps you need to take to get online.

If all else fails, you can take your computer to an authorized service provider who can take a hands on look and might be able to resolve the issue for you.

Good Luck!