Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube Google+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fish tank question(s) Easy 10 points!?

We have a i think 20 gallon filter in the basement and i want to bring it up and put fish in it but my grandmom and mom said "We've done this before." No more fish... the fish died like 2 weeks later since we had like 3 or 4 gold fish in just a 20 gallon tank. My mom and grandmom just don't have any patience. How can i let them get fish? I'm thinking about getting THREE FEMALE bettas. (not yelling)
    Would that be a good idea and will they fight? I just think it's a waste to see a 20 gallon fish tank with a really nice stand, filter, hood, light etc. just sit in a basement and not be used. Please help...

My mom also thinks it's "too hard to clean the tank"

Help here... my mom knows i take care of animals very well,
    I have a betta fish (male) in a 5 gallon filtered and heated tank, i have a dog, cat, and 2 female guinea pigs. I take care and treat my animals well. I wish my mom and grandmom wouldn't give up so quickly and just give me a chance. The last time they used the tank was about 5, 6, or 7 years ago and i was young...

I just have one more question, the filter is a AquaClear 150 filter... if you could please give me a link of what kind of filter cartridge and carbon to get from Petco for the filter. That would be great!

So my questions are, How do i get my guardians to say yes to fish? Would 3 female bettas get along good, if not.. are there any other fish that would do great in a 20 gallon tank and if tropical fish, heated? My last but not question is, what kind of filter cartridges and or carbon do i use for the pretty old Aquaclear 150 filter from Petco? Does Petco even sell them or cartridges/carbons that would fit in the filter? Thanks so much for your help!
    Here's a picture of the filter:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21soZ4G3B8L._SL500_AA200_.jpg

(Not sure if it'll help)
    And for stocking fish, please no schooling fish that need 6+ fish...I want maybe 3-5 fish, 6 at the max.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, this might be one that you just have to prove to them with action. Can you get the tank up and running yourself? Do you have your own money to pay for the fish?
    I think perhaps the fish died because you obviously can't have goldfish in that size tank and also many fish die at this 2 week mark because the tank is not properly cycled. Make sure you read up on cylcling your tank.
    A 20 gallon is a perfect size tank for a small tropical community. Make sure to have a heater in there though. You need hardy fish, that is more important than how many fish you have. Danios or glofish are great for beginners. Yes, they are schooling fish, but remember sometimes a healthy school of fish are the most hardy. Since you already have a betta then why not try something else. Start off with a group of 3 and then you can add to it slowly. Cory cats are cute and will help clean up the bottom.
    Getting a good syphon and two buckets will help you clean it better. Once a week fill a bucket with the same temperature water and add water conditioner drops. Then syphon the gravel clean into the other bucket. Then add your new water slowly. No problem.Do this more often when you set up a new aquarium because the amonia adds up quickly. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know that male bettas fight alot, but I'm not sure about the females. My guess would be that the females fight, too. A good tropical fish that would go into your 20 gallon tank would be platies. I own three platies in a 10 gallon tank, so you could own 6 of them, but they only need one other platy to be happy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Talk to your mam and grandmom about the tank and make a promise to clean the tank every month betta are ok to keep just make sure u have the tank at the right temp 20-30 degrees c or 70-80 degrees f

that filter is perfectly fine. dont forget your heater and real plants in your aqurium are alot better try them your bettas should live a long happy life if you supply them with food every day and night if u forget u can get a autmatic fish feeder in your local pet store that feeds your fish twice a day and holds up to 6 weeks of food there fantastic. make sure you clean as much as 25% of the water in the tank ecery month or so and check the temp every few days

Downloads
    Uploads
    Talk to your mam and grandmom about the tank and make a promise to clean the tank every month betta are ok to keep just make sure u have the tank at the right temp 20-30 degrees c or 70-80 degrees f
    that filter is perfectly fine. dont forget your heater and real plants in your aqurium are alot better try them your bettas should live a long happy life if you supply them with food every day and night if u forget u can get a autmatic fish feeder in your local pet store that feeds your fish twice a day and holds up to 6 weeks of food there fantastic. make sure you clean as much as 25% of the water in the tank ecery month or so and check the temp every few days

Downloads
    Uploads
    Show them that fish are extremely easy to care fore.
    Yes, three females would be fine together.
    Yes, heated. And you would be able to put tetras, numerous bottom feeders (plecostomus, loaches, etc.) , and mollies/swordtails.
    Yup, pretty much any filter will do, especially for just a small tank with non-dirty fish like those in it.

Just remember to not over crowd, and don't over feed

Just FYI. DO NOT get any type of barbs with betas. They are really bad for fin nipping!

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok ok, Yes the fish need to be heated but you can get a heater for about 10 bucks at big w.With the bettas yes they will fight unless you get all females, or 1 male and 2 females. I think that its stupid to have an excellent tank like that and not use it. My paretnts were set on not letting me have a fish tank anywhere else in the house (I had about 5 in my room) but you just keep trying and eventually they let me have a small 20 litre in the lounge. So keep at it.
    Oh yeah that filters fine, but make sure you fill it with filter wool and carbon. And for the stocking fish, choose guppies they are beautiful and need very little room, my guess about 3-4 litres per fish if you go with the guppies. Oh ya by the way for cleaning the tank you shouldn't have to if you get an algae eater or snail of some kind. As for the gravel get an undergravel filter aswell with an airpump, that way the much get sucked into the undergravel filter, if the other filter misses it. Hope that helps. : ]
    Lol 1 more thing, If you need any other help, visit my website, yeah I know its a bit kiddish, but if you go down to the page "fish" it'll give you all you need to know about setting up an aquarium, sorting out the fish, algea eaters, and the many types of fish, that kind of stuff, so heres the link, remember the page "fish" lol
    http://emokid394.piczo.com
    and please don't forget to sign the comment board down the bottom lol.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, heated. And you would be able to put tetras, numerous bottom feeders (plecostomus, loaches, etc.) , and mollies/swordtails.
    Yup, pretty much any filter will do, especially for just a small tank with non-dirty fish like those in it.

Just FYI. DO NOT get any type of barbs with betas. They are really bad for fin nipping!

Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a link where you can buy the media for your filter.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+3923&pcatid=3923

I don't know if you can buy these at petco or not, but you can buy them online.
    I think 3 female bettas will be just fine together, I've never heard of problems keeping multiple females together.

I'm not a psychologist so I can't give suggestions on how to get your guardians to say yes, sorry.

Downloads
    Uploads

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast