Shop says my 99 Ford Contour has a bent control arm. Wants $168 for part. Does

mnmarty03

Feb 14, 2009
this sound reasonable? 99 Ford Contour. Shop did not say if it was upper or lower rear control arms I need. I've found lower ones online for less than $50. But can't find upper. He said it is a rare part and they were only able to find it across the country in a warehouse. I know it's bad to drive on a bent control arm... but I also feel like I'm getting taken for the price..

I bought this car in September and have only hit a couple pot holes (very tiny ones) so likely the control arm was bent the entire time.. but I live in VA and when I had my inspection done in Oct. nothing was said about it (by the same shop). Is that something they check in VA Inspections? The shop also wants me to do, total, over $1000 worth of "much needed" repairs... and I only took it in for an alignment and oil change! Please help me!

It is not far off from what it costs, remember a shop marks up their parts anywhere from 50 to 100%. They do this not to rip you off but th cover over head and make a profit.

Hold off on the repairs.
Annual inspection may not notice this condition.
Bent control arm would likely been noticed while trying to do the wheel alignment.

I would inspect the two rear tires for irregular wear patterns as this would be a sign of some misalignment.
I would also get a second opinion on the damaged part or only ask for a front wheel alignment if the rear tires look even and you don't notice the car handles any different.

lower control arm sure you can replace it your self or cal any parts store and get a part price or part lower arm not hard to replace at home
type into search box how to replace lower control arm
or try autozone website to get part and how to replace info

lower control arm sure you can replace it your self or cal any parts store and get a part price or part lower arm not hard to replace at home
type into search box how to replace lower control arm
or try autozone website to get part and how to replace info

Back